Thursday 3 February 2011

The Year of the Rabbit/Dumpling/Pork Belly

This blog is not here to review restaurants but I see nowt wrong with sharing good restaurant love every now and again. On Tuesday I met my amazing friend Nat for a new little tradition we've begun; wine in a funny little tapas bar then full on Chinese Feast in Dumplings Legend in Gerrard Street in China Town. We like the contrast. Or maybe Nat just fancies the Albanian waiter in the Spanish joint haha.

I get so excited walking through China Town, it smells so good that even if I've just eaten I could definately go again. I love the supermarkets there, all these crazy exotic ingredients hiding the bits and pieces you're trying to find for a fancy pants thai curry, the temptation to just buy this to see what it is...


The anticipation was almost as good as the food

Sadly all too often in China Town the delicious smells and cheap set menus are a dissapointment, and I think it's fair to say that in the UK generally, amazing Chinese food is hard to find. I've eaten Chinese food in China, and apart from being very scary and a bit of a gamble, its a totally different ball game in the UK. But...go to Dumplings Legend in Gerrard Street, its quite big, you won't miss it, have the Siu Loung Bao which are Shanghainese dumplings, (you have to nibble, suck out the soup then gobble up the dumpling) crispy chilli salt squid and braised pork belly in bamboo and you won't be dissapointed. 

Nat and I ate and talked so much that by the time we'd finished the food there was still 3/4 of the wine left, testiment to the food I reckon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment