Thursday 20 January 2011

Pakora Binge

I'm totally obsessed with curry and cook it a lot, I swear, if I had to be vegetarian I would just live off Indian food, as its so exciting with so much to choose from. Last night Boyfriend demanded curry, not simply one dish but with an entree of cauliflower pakoras. I huffed and puffed a bit as it was 'such an effort' but was actually going to cook it anyway, as had a beginning to look sad cauliflower on the top shelf of the fridge. I've seen loads of recipes for this and they are all way longer and more complicated than this one, therefore this is the best one ever, super easy.
Never enough or too many
Lightly blanch a head of cauliflower, broken up into florets, so only slightly cooked. In a bowl gradually whisk water into about 300g gram flour (made from chick peas, you can get it in the supermarket) until you have a thick-ish batter. Measurements don't matter because you add the water gradually until the consistency is right. Fool-proof. Whisk in a tbsp garam masala, chopped chilli and chopped coriander. Heat vegetable oil in a wok until it starts making weird noises and is really hot (the noise thing happens in my wok, don't know if its normal, prob not). Mix the drained cauliflower with the batter and fry until golden, I normally do it in batches. Serve with more fresh coriander (I'm a bit obsessed with it) and a raita made from natural yoghurt with all or none of the following stirred in :garam masala, salt, cayenne pepper, or cucumber. We happily devour a small head of cauliflower between us. But we are gluttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment