Tuesday 18 January 2011

Excess Sausage Cure

How to turn a million bangers into none.
It got cold again today, as my fingers and toes froze on the walk home tonight, the thought of a gorgeous-equivalent-of-a-duvet-casserole quickened my stride. On inspection of the freezer this morning I found no less than five packets of sausages. I do appreciate it when boyfriend does the shopping, I really do, but I wish that just sometimes he'd stick to the list and try and ignore the tantalising special offer red stickers.

Sausage casserole it was then. There must be a million ways of cooking it but right now this is my favourite. No specific quantities, its all down to how many you cook for and how you like it. Brown the sausages in a casserole dish, add chopped onion and garlic, finely chopped fresh rosemary, turn the heat down, cover and cook gently for 15 minutes. Once onions are soft add chicken stock, beans of your liking (flageolets, black eyed beans or even chick peas are good) and season. Cook for about 20 minutes, stir in a decent glug of single cream,then add a load of kale (lush dark green goodness that probably makes you live forever I reckon) and simmer away, covered for another 10 minutes until the kale is cooked. I add a load of chilli at this point. But I add it to most things. Check seasoning and top with chopped parsley. And serve with mash. Obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment